I have told the church repeatedly that:
– We are not to be Scared. (Jn. 14:27 CSB, JN. 16:33 CSB; Phil. 4:6-7 CSB)
– We are not to be Senseless. (Prov. 3:13-27 CSB)
– This is our opportunity to Shine! (Matt. 5:14-16 CSB)
God has given all believers a Spirit of Peace, a Gift of Wisdom, and an opportunity to shine this time of worldly darkness. Take this opportunity to rest in His peace, grow in His wisdom, and be a blessing to others. If you’ve ever used the excuse, “I just don’t have time to pray or have a devotion.”; that likely isn’t the case today. I think it also safe to say you’ve never had a greater opportunity to share about Jesus with others. Remember, missions begin at home, in your neighborhood, at your school, and in your workplace. You don’t have to travel to be a missionary. Look at this encounter with Jesus:
Mark 8:22–26 (CSB) 22 They came to Bethsaida. They brought a blind man to him and begged him to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and brought him out of the village. Spitting on his eyes and laying his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?”
24 He looked up and said, “I see people—they look like trees walking.”
25 Again Jesus placed his hands on the man’s eyes. The man looked intently and his sight was restored and he saw everything clearly. 26 Then he sent him home, saying, “Don’t even go into the village.”
Notice that after the man had encountered Jesus and received his healing; Jesus “sent him home”. Even told the man “Don’t even go into the village.” It seems like Jesus would want the man to go everywhere, telling everyone about his encounter with Jesus. But that was not the case. Why? I think two factors come into play here:
- I believe Jesus may have been protecting this man from the same abuse the blind man from John 9 CSB faced.
- I believe we see a purposeful pattern of taking the message of Jesus to those closest to us first. Andrew told his brother, Simon (Jn. 1:41 CSB); The woman at the well told her entire town (Jn. 4:28-30 CSB, JN. 4:39 CSB); Demon possessed man (Mk. 5:19 CSB)
Let me encourage you to look at those closest to you and share all that Jesus has done for you.